Curriculum Policy for Graduate School
1. Master’s Program
To develop capabilities “to face real social systems, find and solve problems in them, and construct new systems” specified in Diploma Policy, students will study specialized subjects consisting of a group of common subjects, subject groups of Media Architecture Field, Advanced ICT Field, Media Design Field, Complex Systems Information Science Field，and Intelligent Information Science Field. Moreover, to develop capabilities “to strategically give insight into future systems as well as to analyze and understand real social systems”, subjects for research guidance of each field are arranged. In each subject group, curriculum is arranged and implemented based on the following scheme. Combination of lectures, practices, discussions, field works and other activities thatfits a goal of each subject will encourage students to acquire problem-solving and problem-finding skills on their initiative. The status of achievement for a goal of each subject will be evaluated and credits are given to students who have passed.
Group of Common Subjects (M1)
Group of common subjects offers subjects related to the academic literacy and data literacy which are required to write a dissertation.
- Students will learn academic literacy, data literacy and research ethics that can apply to international research and development and business settings.
Subject Group of Media Architecture Field (M1-2)
Subject group of Media Architecture Field offers subjects to acquire fundamental technology related to information systems, construction technology of information systems, construction technology of advanced information systems integrating these systems mentioned above.
- Students will learn fundamental technology through the lectures of Information Network, Media Informatics, and Data Science.
- Students will learn construction technology through the lecture of Information Environmentoloy.
- Students will learn integrated advanced information systems through Field Informatics.
Subject Group of Advanced ICT Field (M1-2)
Subject group of Advanced ICT Field offers subjects to acquire advanced and practical technologies for planning, design, development, management and integration technologies to solve problems of real society based on information systems.
- Students will learn technologies for planning and design through the lectures of ICT Design, IT Architecture, and Embed Systems.
- Students will learn technologies for development, management, and integration technology through the lectures of Open Technologies and Service Management.
- Students will acquire the practical skills of development, management, and communication through the exercise of project-type system development based on industry/academia/government cooperation.
Subject Group of Media Design Field (M1-2)
Subject group of Media Design Field offers subjects to acquire the fundamental techniques of creation and information expression for cutting-edge artifacts effectively using design methodology and information technology, and the design techniques of the advanced integrating relationship between human and environment.
- Students will learn the fundamental techniques of creation and information expression for cutting-edge artifacts through the lectures of Cognitive Systems and Interactive Systems.
- Students will learn design techniques of the relationship between human and environment through the lectures of Information Design and Media Design.
Subject Group of Complex Systems Information Science Field (M1-2)
Subject group of Complex Systems Information Science Field offers subjects to acquire fundamental theories elucidating the phenomena in nature, life, society, economics, environment and others as complex systems, and methods analyzing real-world system as complex systems.
- Students will learn fundamental theories to elucidate phenomena as complex systems through the lectures of Mathematical Analysis, Applied Complex Systems, Information Mathematics, and Nonlinear Mathematics.
- Students will learn methods to analyze real real-world system through the lectures of System Mathematics and Complex Systems.
Subject Group of Intelligent Information Science Field (M1-2)
Subject group of Intelligent Information Science Field offers subjects to acquire intelligent processing mechanism, scientific knowledge of human cognition, and construction techniques of advanced intelligent systems by applying these knowledge and techniques.
- Students will learn intelligent processing mechanism through the lectures of Intelligent Information Science, Intelligent Systems Programming, and Adaptive Systems.
- Students will acquire scientific knowledge related to human cognition through the lecture of Intelligent Media.
- Students will learn construction techniques of intelligent systems through the lectures of Autonomous System and History and Future of Intelligent Systems.
Subjects for Research Guidance (M2)
Subject group for Research Guidance offers subjects to conduct research with using comprehensive understandings of Systems Information Science and problem-solving/problem-finding skills and to write master’s thesis which contains high academic and technical levels. Students will foster the abilities to conduct research on specialized theme and give presentation of the results through the research guidance by their supervisors. Subject group for dedicated research instruction provided by the supervisors and;
- Students will comprehensively understand Information Systems Science, aim at contributing to development of academia and industry, and foster expertise and research methodology towards creating results including advanced academic achievement.
- Students will write master’s thesis through the research processes including research theme setting, research plan making, research evaluation, presentations in academic conferences, and paper writings while pursuing new principle and methodsintensively.
It is possible to submit master’s thesis earlier with shortening period of master’s program if student is extremely excellent for all subjects.
2. Doctoral Program
Subjects for Research Guidance are provided for developing capabilities of “pursuing new principle and new methods in Systems Information Science”, and write doctoral thesis satisfying “systematic understanding of Information Systems Science and involving the sufficient interdisciplinarity, and contain advanced open-minded academic research results. Furthermore, it must be judged that the thesis contains implications and findings to contribute to future development of the relevant field and related industries” that is specified in Diploma Policy.
Subjects for Research Guidance (D1-3)
Subject group for Research Guidance is based on specialized and elaborated research guidance by the supervisor and;
- Students will systematically understand the field of Systems Information Science, contribute to the development of academia and industries, and develop specialized knowledge and research methodology that contain open-minded advanced academic achievements for creating new results.
- Students will aim at pursuing new principle and new methods and write doctoral thesis through the research processes including research theme setting, research plan making, research evaluation, presentations in academic conferences, and paper writings.
It is possible to submit doctoral thesis earlier with shortening period of doctoral program if student is extremely excellent for all subjects.