Her research interests include human-computer interaction design and collective creativity, specifically Knowledge Interaction Design, which is a framework for the design and development of computational tools for creative knowledge work. Her latest work addresses cognitive and social factors of software development as knowledge-intensive collective creative tasks.
She has served as chairs, editors, and committee members for a number of research communities, journals, and conferences, in the fields of Human-Computer Interaction, Software Engineering, and Design and Creative Knowledge Work Support, both locally and internationally. She was awarded Distinguished Engineering Alumni Award from College of Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder in 2006, and Lifetime Community Contribution Award from Japan ACM SIGCHI Chapter in 2021.
Major Books and Papers
- Kumiyo Nakakoji, Yasuhiro Yamamoto, Nobuto Matubara, Yusuke Kita, Designing Data Interactivity for Visualizing Data, The Journal of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, Special Issue on Understanding Data by Data Abstraction in Data Science, IEICE, pp.197-205, March 2021, (in Japanese).
- Yasuhiro Yamamoto, Kumiyo Nakakoji, Visual Interactivity to Make Sense of Heterogeneous Streams of Design Activity Data, Proceedings of Design Computing and Cognition DCC’18, J.S. Gero (Ed.), Springer, pp.745-763, Lecco, Italy, July 2018.
- Kumiyo Nakakoji, Instrumenting Interaction for Inspiration and Imagination, Keynote, ACM Creativity and Cognition Conference 2017, Singapore, June 28, 2017.
- Toru Ishida, Tetsuo Sawaragi, Kumiyo Nakakoji, Takushi Sogo, Interdisciplinary Education for Design Innovation -Challenges in Kyoto University Design School-, IEEE Computer, Special Issue on Learning Technologies, Vol.50, Issue 5, pp.42-52, IEEE Computer Society, May 10, 2017.
- Kumiyo Nakakoji, Yasuhiro Yamamoto, Yusuke Kita, Visual Interaction Design for Experiencing and Engaging with a Large Chronological Table, Proceedings of the 3rd HistoInformatics Workshop on Computational History (HistoInformatics 2016), pp.47-51, Krakow, Poland, July 11, 2016.
- Y. Yamamoto, K. Nakakoji, Interaction Design of Tools for Fostering Creativity in the Early Stages of Information Design, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (IJHCS), Special Issue on Creativity L. Candy, E. Edmonds (Eds.), Vol.63, No.4-5, pp.513-535, October, 2005.